New Delhi: The Indian Railways have strict rules regarding refund of booking amount on ticket cancellation. Many a time passengers have to change their travel plans at the last moment due to health issues, poor weather, family obligations, etc.
If you are cancelling your train tickets at the last moment then you must be aware of refund rules of India railways.
Making yourself aware of these rules will help you save money on ticket cancellation. Here are the ticket cancellation rules laid out by IRCTC :
1. If a confirmed ticket is cancelled more than 48 hours before the scheduled departure of the train, cancellation fee of Rs 240 will be charged for AC first class/executive class, Rs 200 for AC 2 tier/first class, Rs 180 for AC 3 tier/AC chair car/ AC 3 economy, Rs 120 for sleeper class and Rs 60 for second class per passenger.
2. If a confirmed ticket is cancelled within 48 hours and up to 12 hours before the scheduled departure of the train, cancellation charges shall be 25 per cent of the fare subject to the minimum flat rate, IRCTC has said on its website.
3. In case, a confirmed ticket is cancelled less than 12 hours and upto four hours before the scheduled departure of the train up to chart preparation which is earlier, 50% of the fare paid will be deducted subject to the minimum cancellation charges.
4. Confirmed e-tickets: No refund is admissible on the tickets having confirmed reservation in case the ticket is not cancelled or TDR not filed online upto four hours before the scheduled departure of the train.
5. RAC e-tickets: No refund is permissible on RAC e-tickets is case the ticket is not cancelled or TDR not filed online upto thirty minutes before the scheduled departure of the train.
6. Family e-ticket: In case, on a party e-ticket or family e-ticket issued for travel of more than one passenger, some passengers have confirmed reservation while others are on RAC or waiting list, full refund of fare, less processing fees, shall be admissible for confirmed passengers on the condition that the ticket shall be cancelled online or TDR shall be filed online for all the passengers upto 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of the train.
7. Confirmed Tatkal tickets: No refund will be allowed on cancellation of confirmed Tatkal tickets. For contingent cancellation and waitlisted Tatkal ticket cancellations, charges will be deducted as per Railway rules. If the Tatkal ticket is in waiting then some amount will be deducted while the rest will be refunded to the customer. Partial cancellation is allowed on Tatkal e-tickets.
8. If a train is marked as “CANCELLED” in PRS due to breaches, floods, accidents etc. full refund is admissible in case the ticket is cancelled within three days of the scheduled departure of the train. In case of e-tickets, such cancellations can be done through the Internet.